Friday 23 December 2011

jamie romain - top five

suave, is surely the only way to describe our near-legendary jamie romain. suave as hell. more suave than suave ben from blue velvet, minus the psychopathic homoeroticism. wherever he is right now, you can bet he's most likely swanning around in a cravat impressing the gentry with his stunning repartee. either that or chewing the hell out of his cello for a band of buriers, or a native hundred, or murmur breeze or sold out cyclone. near-legendary indeed.

so, we managed to track him down betwixt gala luncheon and black tie dinner engagement to press him for a top five of 2011. naturally, he did not dare stoop to disappoint, but rather gifted us with a most eloquent, impressive and fascinating list of his top five classical pieces of the year. lots to pool over indeed, much to be learnt but moreover much beautiful music to accompany our holiday period. so, over to the man himself. mr jamie romain.

-




In March I found myself a bona fide musician. Starting A Band Of Buriers with James changed my life completely - at the beginning of the year I had a full time job and music was something of an irregular pastime that I occasionally played around with. Now, I find myself exploring my musical heritage every day. My top five is a collection of pieces of classical music that I have stumbled across this past year. I hope that they provide as much inspiration for you as they have done me, or at least a magnificent backdrop to accompany all of your endeavours.

I also recommend, should you have the time, that you watch this TED talk by the conductor Benjamin Zander. It will change the way you listen to classical music forever.


The top five pieces of classical music that have
accompanied my 2011 read as follows:



When I was a child, my mother would put on classical pieces and tell my brothers and me stories with the music as a soundtrack. This piece invokes that memory for me but also, this particular performance is just so beautifully captured that it feels already like you’re watching a story unfold. I recommend you put this on loud, close your eyes and let tales of old unfold before you.


This piece is amazing - that just two people can do so much is impressive, but on a personal note, for me it perfectly sums up a year in which James and I have spent every day working to create something we believe in and are incredibly proud of.


I used to play in orchestras. I never used to practice and half the time I just pretended that I was playing. It wasn’t that I couldn’t do it, I think my ego simply wanted the attention and when surrounded by fifty other players, one tends to get lost in the crowd. This piece reminds me of the musical journey that has led me to appreciate orchestras from afar and join a band instead. 


As a cellist, Jacqueline Du Pre has always been something of a role model. This year I found this Offenbach piece, performed by her. It is delightful, it is powerful and it is moving. If you’re already weeping, it won’t help you stop. Better than any emo song you’ll find.


I went to see a friend perform with the London Symphony Orchestra in November. In the second half, they played this piece and it was one of the most amazing things I have ever heard. Sitting in the huge auditorium, I felt I was the only person that existed. If music moves you, this will make you question everything. 

-


so, there you have it. wise words from the classical center of the decorative stamp circle. be sure to keep your eyes open for jamie's activities with a band of buriers here, like them on facebook here, make friends with the man himself here, and be sure to keep your eye out for his latest astonishing appearance on the upcoming album from our very own a native hundred, coming on decorative stamp in late january. get involved!

take care

decorative stamp



No comments:

Post a Comment